Wednesday, January 12, 2011

DAG Quilt 2011 - January

DAGgers are going to be doing a quiltlet each month for 2011. Each month is assigned a color and the quiltlet for that month uses only that color! It's not as easy as it sounds. Most of us are used to developing texture and depth with color and contrast. So it could prove to be a bit of a challenge.  These will be non-bound and then at the end of the year each person will put their quilt together however they want to. I'm just making the quiltlets 10" X 10" and currently have no plan at all as to how to put them into a single quilt. I'll worry about that closer to the end of this project.  The reason? Because my life and perspectives seem to change so much during  a whole year.  I want the journey of the quiltlets to be where I am at that month but the final piece I want to be centered more around where I am at the end of 2011.

So, let's begin!  The color for January is WHITE. I chose a white-on-white for the base fabric. White grosgrain ribbon bisects the square but not quite in half (you know how I hate exactness!!) Since this winter is the snowiest we've had in years, I decided to add a snowflake motif stitch down the middle of the ribbon. The top right "half" is overlaid with a tulle that has silver circles on it. I had these three embellishment pieces from a friend who gave me tons of lace and stuff. On the bottom "half" just under the ribbon I roller painted "snow" circles using Lumiere Pearl White. The lace on the left side of the square is also from the lace stash from my friend.

JANUARY


  A couple of close-up detail photos




No comments: