The concept - Make a piece for each letter of the alphabet. The technique, tool, or fabric should represent the letter of the alphabet. For example - The letter A - Angelina. You'll see as I go along just how it works. I have a list already for many of the letters but I have left some for later inspiration! (Translation: I have no idea yet what to use for them!)
I searched the internet and chose a Celtic version for my alphabet. So, with no further ado........Let's begin! (Strains of "Let's start at the very beginning. That's a very good place to start" just ran through my head!) I am aiming to use shades of blue, purple and periwinkle...unless the technique or whatever doesn't lend itself to that. The background will be black. I'm going for a medium-high contrast.
The Letter A
This is several layers of a pearl periwinkle angelina. Then I cut out the letter A and stitched it to the fabric.
The Letter B
A couple of years ago in a Michael's clearance bin I found several jars of seed beads mixed with white glue. You spread the mixture onto a surface and when the glue dries clear all you have showing are the beads. I first used the Crystal white beads and then some Violet beads to keep with the color scheme.
The Letter C
I used Jacquard Dyna-Flow paints to tint the cheesecloth a periwinkle color. Then I folded it several times and with interfacing on the back of the black fabric I placed a copy of the letter on top of the folded cheesecloth and stitched it down. Then tore away the paper and trimmed the cheesecloth.
The Letter D
At a group retreat in Montana, my friend and I were finding several interesting items on E-Bay. One of these items was dentalium shells....so named I'm sure because they look like small very pointy teeth! I attached them to the black fabric with E-6000.
That's it so far. Now on to the rest of the alphabet!!