Monday, February 1, 2010

Nurturing Creativity - Week 5

Today felt exceptionally exciting to me for some reason....something about the beginning of a new month and the beginning of a new week. And I've really been looking forward to seeing which card pops up for this week.

And the winner is.........

Be Taught or Not

To take a class, in person or online is the Be Taught part. I LOVE online classes and take as many as I can. I love learning new techniques or new ideas with techniques I'm already familiar with.

The or Not part is for the self-motivated....learning on your own. I also love that! In fact, this card really fits in right now. I just started studying about Claude Monet. I have a fantastic book of his biography and am enjoying it very much. I've always been partial to the Impressionists and Monet in particular. I did get to see one of the Monet traveling exhibits when it was here several years ago at the Minneapolis Institute of Art. Awesome.........truly. So, I guess it must have been a connection that was meant to be. On the first pages of this book is a quote from Monet that says, "Even in my childhood, I could never be made to obey rules..." A man after my own heart!!!! I'm just now to the years when he first returned to Paris. A very interesting man.

And a friend of mine told me about Antoni Gaudi....the Spanish architect whose work (at least all I've seen) is in Barcelona. Intriguing! Very "Middle Earth"

I try to find art and learn about art and artists in many disciplines. It never ceases to amaze me what mediums some people come up with to vent their creativity!

So....never stop learning.....never stop seeing art all around you!

3 comments:

Wil said...

I knew the 'no rules' aspect would appeal to you :-)

Dahn said...

I love how creative and adventurous you are! No rules-- you rebel you!

Unknown said...

Rules and I haven't gotten along for a long time now!! Now that I am in my dotage....don't see any reason to change now!